“Experience the heartwarming flavors of Amish tradition with our Amish Onion Fritters. This cherished creation takes the simplicity of onions and transforms them into a crispy and flavorful delight that captures the essence of homestyle comfort. Imagine thin slices of sweet onions, enrobed in a light and airy batter that crisps to perfection when fried. Each bite offers a harmonious blend of savory and slightly sweet notes, evoking memories of communal meals and handcrafted treats. With every mouthwatering fritter, you’ll savor the contrast of textures and the delightful burst of flavors that come from this beloved Amish recipe. Whether enjoyed as a crowd-pleasing appetizer, a unique side dish, or a way to infuse your table with the warmth of tradition, our Amish Onion Fritters promise a culinary journey that celebrates the art of uncomplicated and soul-satisfying cooking.”
Amish Onion Fritters
½ C. All-purpose flour
1 Tbsp. Cornmeal
1 Tbsp. sugar, Granulated
2 tsp. Baking powder
½ C. Whole milk
2 C. Chopped onions
Salt and pepper to taste
Oil for frying
- Place all of the ingredients minus the oil into a mixing bowl, and stir together until well combined.
- Heat ½ -1 inch of oil in a deep-sided skillet over medium-high heat on the stove.
- When the oil has reached a temperature of at least 175 degrees, drop the batter into the skillet by the tablespoonful, spreading it out a bit as you go.
- Brown the fritters on one side, flip and brown them on the other before removing to drain on a paper towel lined rack.
- Serve with sour cream or your favorite dipping sauce if desired.