“Indulge in a velvety and satisfying culinary experience with our Creamy Baked Mac and Cheese. This beloved classic takes the comfort of macaroni and cheese to new heights, enveloping tender pasta in a luscious, cheesy sauce that’s baked to golden perfection. Imagine layers of perfectly cooked macaroni intertwined with a creamy mixture of melted cheeses, creating a symphony of textures and tastes that evoke memories of home-cooked goodness and the joy of savoring comfort food at its finest. With every forkful, you’ll experience the delightful contrast of soft pasta and the rich, velvety cheese sauce, capturing the essence of heartwarming meals and the pleasure of enjoying a dish that embraces you in warmth. Whether enjoyed as a side dish that steals the spotlight, a way to relive childhood favorites, or a celebration of the art of creating creamy and satisfying dishes, our Creamy Baked Mac and Cheese promises a culinary journey that captures the heart of indulgence and the pleasures of savoring layers of cheesy goodness in every delectable bite.”
CREAMY BAKED MAC AND CHEESE
1 lb. dry elbow macaroni pasta
½ cup salted butter
½ cup all-purpose flour
2 cups milk, at room temperature (I use 2%, but whole milk will also work well)
2 cups half-and-half, at room temperature
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
12 ounces cubed Velveeta cheese, at room temperature
3 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese, divided (at room temperature)
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon dry mustard
¼ teaspoon black pepper
Pinch of nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease a 9 x 13-inch baking dish and set aside.
- In a large pot of salted boiling water, cook pasta for 1 minute less than the package suggestion for al dente (about 8 minutes). Drain and toss with a drizzle of olive oil to prevent sticking.
- While the pasta boils, melt butter in a large Dutch oven (about 6-7 quarts) over medium heat. Add flour; cook, whisking constantly, for 1 minute. Very gradually, whisk in the milk and half-and-half. Bring to a boil over medium heat, whisking constantly. Remove from the heat.
- Whisk in the Worcestershire sauce. Gradually add all of the Velveeta cheese and half of the cheddar cheese (1 ½ cups). Stir until the cheese is completely melted and smooth. Stir in the salt, dry mustard, pepper and nutmeg. Add cooked, drained pasta and stir to coat.
- Transfer to the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle remaining 1 ½ cups of grated cheddar on top. Bake for 15 minutes, or until cheese is melted on top and the sauce is bubbly.
- For a crispier, browner top, pop the dish under the broiler for 2-5 minutes.